46 4 Simple Ways to Memorize Scripture

Last week I finished memorizing 1 Peter 1 with the great ladies at Do Not Depart. Wanting to keep this this wonderful reminder of my heavenly inheritance  fresh in my memory,  


I have found doing four things helps to solidify my memory verses in my mind and heart, so I don’t easily forget them. Whether you have already memorized a passage, are memorizing a passage now, or are gearing up for your next memory project: here are four simple ways to make learning and recalling your verses even easier.  


1. Read it 

I like to start my day just reading aloud my memory passage. Why aloud? For me, when I simply read silently, it’s only a matter of time before my mind begins to wander to other things. By reading the passage aloud, I am forced to focus on the words before me and meditate on their meaning. It also helps me recognize what verses I am familiar with, which ones I know, and which ones I need to review more. Considering I memorized 1 Peter 1 over a thirteen week period, learning two verses a week, by reading through 1 Peter 1 each day that’s 91 times reading through 1 Peter.  

Not only does doing that help me solidify the verses I was currently memorizing, but it was great to prep me for the verses to come. By the time we got to the later verses, just by reading 1 Peter 1 once a day, I already had some of the phrasing down from just this simple, daily discipline. If you have just finished the 1 Peter 1 memory challenge, this is a great way to review the chapter. If you’re gearing up for your next memory project, this is a great way to get a strong start when you do begin memorizing. 

2. Write it    

I recently learned about this idea of handwriting out my memory verses.  Like reading aloud, handwriting my verse forces me to focus on the words and phrases, but even more so because I am copying the passage word for word, and don’t want to make a mistake. Like the reading aloud, this is a great way to learn phrasing in the verses you have left to learn in a passage. Though I learned of this great memory technique at the end of the 1 Peter 1 challenge, I am writing out 1 Peter 1 now to solidify what I’ve already learned, but when the next Do Not Depart Scripture Memory Challenge starts up again in January, I will definitely write out the  entire passage at the start. 

I’ve chosen to write my verses in a beautiful blank journal that I can use for my memory verses now, and pass down to my little girl later. Can you imagine how neat it would be to have complete passages or books of the Bible written in your own parent’s hand? What a simple treasure we can leave our children, that also helps us memorize our verses.  

3. Hear it 

 I love listening to a passage I’m memorizing from my favorite audio Bible.  Since I memorize from the New King James Version (NKJV) I love hearing the passage come to life from the Word of Promise (NKJV) Dramatic Audio Bible.  Listening to a passage I’m memorizing is especially helpful if the passage contains unfamiliar names. For instance in 1 Peter 1 memorizing the names (Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia) was much easier having heard them pronounced from my audio Bible. I’ve noticed listening also allows me to recognize the flow of a passage and even patterns within a passage because I am listening to the entire passage, not just the two verses I’m working to memorize that week. 

Listening to a memory chapter is a  great addition, or alternative, to reading the text aloud. (Tip #1) If you don’t have an audio Bible in the version you memorize from, it seems more and more Bible apps are giving the option to listen and read.  I know Bible.Is does that. http://www.bible.is/resources If you memorize from the KJV or ESV check them out. If you check out the “FaithComes By Hearing” podcasts at iTunesyou could literally just download the chapter or chapters you’re memorizing (if memorizing a book of the Bible) and just listen to your memory chapter wherever you are. Nice! I love technology today!

4. Recite it 

 I make it a point to recite my memory passage once through each day. I continue to do this even after I’ve completed a memory project, just to keep it fresh in my memory. But this is especially helpful when I am currently memorizing a passage for recognizing which verses I’m familiar with, which verses I know, and which verses I need to review more. Each time I recite my verses, reciting the passage gets easier and easier. I’m still reciting John 1:1-14 daily that I memorized back in April and May this year, and let me tell you, it now flows out so easily. That encourages me since I have yet to get to that point with 1 Peter 1. But there was a time that I was clunky with 1 John, but day after day, week after week, month after month of reciting 1 John 1 once-a-day, I learned first-hand the amazing fruit that comes from the simple act of daily reciting my memory verses.  

All four of these strategies for hiding God’s Word in my heart have helped make learning and remembering my verses even easier--and they only take a few minutes a day. Such a small price to pay when I consider the fantastic fruit borne out of memorizing Scripture. Chuck Swindoll  describes this fruit, “I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture. . . . No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified.” 

I hope to see you at the next Do Not Depart Hide His Word challenge in January!

Question for you: What are you memorizing now or planning to memorize in the upcoming weeks?


If you haven’t yet, follow me on Twitter or drop by my Facebook page and click “Like.”

Subscribe to Rivers of Water by entering your e-mail address in the box below:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Here are the blogs I'm linked up with this week. Check 'em out!

Copyright © 2012 Brooke Espinoza.

46 comments:

  1. Great tips for this lovely Spiritual Sunday. I encourage my grandkids to repeat their Bible memory verses at least three times each time we practice them. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaye! What a wonderful encouragement you are to your grandkids and their spiritual development. God bless you lots

      Delete
  2. We do more oral work than writing when studying memory work with our children. We mix it up a little having them say their verses with their tongues sticking out or standing on one foot. Sometimes they illustrate the meaning too.
    A group of ladies that I am working with just finished Galatians 5:22-23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I agree when helping your kids to memorize Scripture it should be fun. We should make memorizing Gods Word as enjoyable and special as possible. Congratulations on memorizing the fruit of the Spirit! That's fantastic! Keep up the great work! God bless you lots!

      Delete
  3. So many great tips here, Brooke. Thanks for spelling it out so clearly. I know it will benefit many.

    I think I'll follow your lead and start a new journal specifically for handwriting my verses. Love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I like the idea of a journal too, because all the passage I need to review are all in one place. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. Review, review, review is my key. Last year I worked hard at about 40 verses over the course of the year, but even though I reviewed 7 verses a day they didn't stay at the tip of my tongue, but I'm sure the truths have stuck. This year I didn't do it. It's a goal for next year again. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Visiting through Inspire Me Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you're so right. Regular review is the key to successful Scripture memorization. Congratulations on memorizing 40 verses! That's awesome! I love your goal for next year. God bless you much!

      Delete
  5. Stopping by from Playdates. What a wonderful post. This is really a great practice that we should all put to use in our lives. I really enjoyed reading this. Have a great day. Blessings from Croatian: A Little R & R: www.littlerandr.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosilind! I'm glad this blessed you. God bless you lots!

      Delete
  6. I am stopping by from Darlene's place - I love your blog and this post. Great tips. I especially love to write out scripture and have used index cards and also enjoy writing them in my journal! Will look into the New Year challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! So glad you stopped by. I love writing out my memory verses, on index cards too. So handy for carrying my verse for the day wherever I may go. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  7. Just ran across your blog from Darlene's. Great advice! Keep on encouraging knowing the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie for your encouraging words! So glad you came by. God bless you lots!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the tips! I have a real hard time memorizing anything! I will try :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this blessed you, Christina! I had a hard time memorizing Bible verses too, until I learned a great method for doing so from Dr. Andrew Davis' booklet "An Approach to Extended Memorization." Here's the link to this fabulous free resource: http://fighterverses.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/extended-scripture-memory_andy-davis.pdf Here's my link of how I personally memorize based off of Dr. Andrew Davis' method. http://brookeespinoza.blogspot.com/p/bible-memorization.html Hope these help! You can do it, Christina! (Phil. 4:13) God bless you richly!

      Delete
  9. Such good advice, Brooke. I have been working on memorizing the book of James this year (almost there!) and as the passages get longer, I have found it helpful to make a mental "hook" to associate one verse with the next. It might be a simple alphabetical connection, or a more complicated association--just to remind me what comes next. Good thoughts here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Congratulations on memorizing the book of James! That is such a rich book! I have heard it referred to as "the proverbs of the New Testament" because it has so much practical wisdom for living godly lives. James is on my list of books to memorize. I know exactly what you mean about those mental hooks. They are so beneficial! I notice the longer I have meditated on a passage, the more those related words and phrases seem to pop out as I go through the passage out loud. God bless you lots!

      Delete
  10. Great tip Brooke! I too have to read scripture out loud in order to get it down in my spirit. Dropping by from Into the Word Wednesday link up. Have a blessed day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad you stopped by! God bless you much!

      Delete
  11. I am so terrible at memorizing scripture, but I know that I need to do it. TODAY I was going to start memorizing 1 Corinthians 13 (I'm studying Becoming a Woman Who Loves by Cynthia Heald), so how blessed am I to have found this post! Thank you!

    On a side note, I heard a sermon illustration one time of a man in a retirement home who had Alzheimer's. Rather than repeating segments of his life or profanities (which so many sadly do), he constantly spoke scripture he had memorized throughout his life. How wonderful would it be to one day only speak the words that the Holy Spirit has engraved in our hearts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with memorizing Scripture too, until I learned of an effective way to do it from Dr. Andrew Davis' booklet "An Approach to Extended Memorization." Here's the link to this fabulous free resource: http://fighterverses.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/extended-scripture-memory_andy-davis.pdf Here's my link of how I personally memorize based off of Dr. Andrew Davis' method. http://brookeespinoza.blogspot.com/p/bible-memorization.html Hope these help as you begin hiding 1 Corinthians 13 in your heart. You can do it! (Phil. 4:13) I loved your illustration. What a beautiful example of a man using his time and mind for God's Word. His Word never returns void, so imagine how the Lord used those verses to those within earshot of that godly man. Awesome! Janet Pope has memorized over 14 books of the Bible because Alzheimer's runs in her family and she wants as much of God's Word hidden in her heart now while she can just in case. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  12. Lovely. Hearing it on CD works best for me, esp. on my walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I love using Scripture CD's too! Seeds Family Worship is my favorite. Third Day (another favorite!) also has Scripture CD's called "Glory Revealed" and "Glory Revealed 2". Learning your verses while you walk is a great way to redeem the time. God bless you lots!

      Delete
  13. I'm still working on the last few verses of 1 Peter 1! Hoping to finish it by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Elizabeth! I'm familiar with the last few verses of 1 Peter but don't have them down like I do the rest of the passage, so I'm using the techniques in this blog post to get them down. Hope to see you at the next memory challenge in January! God bless you much!

      Delete
  14. I struggle with memory verse, and am grateful for any tips that might help commit the word to my heart and mind! Thanks you! (visiting via ITWW)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beckey, I can relate. There was a time memorizing was a real challenge for me. But I learned a great way of memorizing Bible verses from Dr. Andrew Davis' booklet "An Approach to Extended Memorization." Here's the link to this fabulous free resource: http://fighterverses.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/extended-scripture-memory_andy-davis.pdf Here's my link of how I personally memorize based off of Dr. Andrew Davis' method. http://brookeespinoza.blogspot.com/p/bible-memorization.html Hope these help, too! You can do it, Beckey! (Phil. 4:13)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great practical steps here, Brooke! I am finishing up Beth Moore's study on James and am amazed at how much more I've retained by writing the entire book out by hand. I will be writing all of my memory verse by hand from here on out. Glad I found you thru God-Bumps today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! Glad this blessed you. Congratulations on finishing the James study. That sounds like a great one. I agree, writing out verses is so effective in helping to recall it later. God bless you lots!

      Delete
  17. I'm glad your post was before mine at Intentional Me! I loved this post! Memorizing Scripture is so important, and I often speak on the importance of having your kids memorize it (and in the process you do too!). These are very practical helpful ideas. I would love it if you would post this in my Tuesday link up party for my readers.
    The link is: http://courtshipconnection.com/?p=2503
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathie for your encouraging words and invitation to link up. I'm so glad this post blessed you. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  18. I usually have the best luck if I write stuff down...it's almost like I'm writing it on my brain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I like how you put that, Mindy! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  19. These are such great suggestions!! I do most of these except the audio version which is GREAT!!!!!! I still struggle with memorization and this inspires me to work harder on it! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, you bless me so much! So glad this blessed your heart. I struggled with memorizing Scripture, too, for the longest time until I learned of an effective way to do it from Dr. Andrew Davis' booklet "An Approach to Extended Memorization." Here's the link to this wonderful free resource: http://fighterverses.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/extended-scripture-memory_andy-davis.pdf In addition, here's my link of how I personally memorize Scripture based off of Dr. Andrew Davis' method. http://brookeespinoza.blogspot.com/p/bible-memorization.html Hope these help as you seek to hide more of God's Word in your heart. You can do it, Kelly! (Phil. 4:13) God bless you lots!

      Delete
  20. Thanks for these tips! My church always picks a 2-3 verse passage every 2 weeks as a verse to memorize, and I have such a hard time sometimes. I'm sure these will help!

    New follower from Weekend Blog Walk.
    http://musingsofamommabear.blogspot.com/2012/11/shes-here.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad these blessed you, Kim! That's really neat that your church memorizes Scripture together. A couple of resources that can help when you are struggling are:
      1. Dr. Andrew Davis' booklet "An Approach to Extended Memorization." Here's the link to this wonderful free resource: http://fighterverses.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/extended-scripture-memory_andy-davis.pdf
      2. How I personally memorize Scripture based off of Dr. Andrew Davis' method. http://brookeespinoza.blogspot.com/p/bible-memorization.html
      Hope these help! You can do it, Kim! (Phil. 4:13) God bless you richly!

      Delete
  21. Wonderful Bible Study!!

    Hi there, found you through a blog hop, glad I did! I look forward to reading your posts and am now following you! Come on by the Aloha Friday Blog hop and link up with us too!! It's easy and you could end up being next week's featured blogger!!

    http://www.whatjeanlikes.com/2012/11/aloha-friday-blog-hop-32-december-is-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean for your kind words and invitation to your blog hop! I will be by for sure! God bless you much!

      Delete
  22. Thank you for your helpful insight on memorizing God's Word!! I'm your newest follower from the weekend blog walk - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this blessed you, Angie! Thank you for your encouraging words and the info on your blog. I look forward to visiting. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  23. Hi,
    New follower from the blog hop please come follow me back :)
    http://lifewithtwinsandadramaqueen.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you here! God bless you lots!

      Delete
  24. Thank you for joining the Weekend Blog Hop this week!

    Holly
    http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's my pleasure. God bless you much!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share. May God bless you richly!