32 1 Peter 1 Bible Memory Challenge!

Since will be wrapping up the Psalm 103 Summer Memory Challenge in the next three weeks, I wanted to let you know about an upcoming new memory challenge at Do Not Depart. Starting August 19 and ending on November 17, they will be guiding anyone interested through the memorizing of 1Peter chapter 1.


This will be at a pace of 2 verses a week, which if you have been doing the Psalm 103 Summer Memory Challenge with us, you know memorizing two verses a week is very doable. (and such a blessing!)

Having memorized 1 John 1:1-14 with the great ladies at Do Not Depart I know first-hand what a blessing it is to memorize a passage with a group of Sisters in Christ who are committed to Hiding God’s Word in their hearts, I encourage you to join us. The accountability and fellowship along the way are priceless! You will be inspired, encouraged, strengthened both by the verses we’ll memorize as well as by the other godly women who are dedicated to hide 1 Peter chapter 1 in their heart this Fall.

If you don’t have a good memory, don’t let that hold you back. If you truly have a desire to memorize 1 Peter 1, God will surely honor that desire, and fully equip you with the ability to not only memorize all of 1 Peter chapter 1, but to lock it in your brain for the rest of your life. Trust Him. You can do this! If you ever doubt your ability to memorize Scripture, or finish this memory challenge let these two verses encourage you and help you take those thoughts captive and bring them into obedience to Christ:

1.    I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)
2.    With man this is impossible, but not with God. With God ALL THINGS are possible! (Matthew 19:26)

Both these verses prove that you can memorize Scripture, even all of 1 Peter chapter 1, regardless of your memory. For more great reasons to join us in memorizing Scripture, check out John Piper’s 6 Great Reason’s to Memorize Scripture as well as the benefits of memorizing passages over individual verses. So if you desire to join me in memorizing 1 Peter 1:1-25, I encourage you to head over to Do Not Depart and register for the 1 Peter 1 memory challenge on Wednesday August 8th.  After that grab your favorite Bible translation to memorize from and join in the fun!

What Works For Me

Each morning I read out loud and recite my verses for the week a total of 10 times each. So I don’t lose count, and to make things easy for me, to keep track how many times I’ve read a verse out loud or how many times I have recited it, I will write on any slip of paper something like this, and use tick marks to keep track of what I’ve done so far, so I know when I reach 10 times:

1 Peter  1:1
Read out loud: ||||  ||||
Recite: ||||  ||||

1 Peter  1:2
Read out loud: |||| ||||
Recite: |||| ||||

After I finish this I’ll write my verses on a 3 x 5 note card and bring my verses wherever I am to review throughout my day in those down times when my hands are busy but my mind is free. (i.e. Brushing teeth, styling hair, putting on makeup, cooking, folding laundry, going on a walk waiting in line at the store or in traffic at a stop light, etc.) I actually memorized the majority of John 1:1-14 simply in the 15 minutes it takes me to take a shower each day.  By posting my verses in the shower, memorizing John 1:1-14 while I was already in there anyway meant the 15 minutes I worked on my memory verses did not take any extra time out my busy day. Rather I just redeemed the time when my hands were busy but my mind is free, just as Janet Pope recommends in her fantastic book “His Word in My Heart.

Think about your day and what moments you can redeem for hiding His Word in your heart. Maybe it’s when your kids are napping or playing independently. Or when you are waiting at the doctor’s office, in the checkout line, in traffic. Perhaps it is when you are folding laundry or going on your morning walk. If you know you are going to be facing those times, why not bring your 3 x 5 card with your verses on it and have them handy to review during those down times that can be expected in our day-to-day life?

I want to leave you with one last thing. When I was in high school and I had a test coming up, I would study until I got it right. Now looking back, I can see I was doing the bare minimum in preparing for a test. Because God’s Word is life-changing I do not study my memory verses until I finally get it right. Instead, I practice until I can’t get it wrong. That is when I can joyfully say “I know John 1:1-14!” So when the 1 Peter 1 memory challenge begins I will be doing this as I seek to hide 1 Peter 1:1-25 in my heart, so by Thanksgiving I can rejoice that “I know 1 Peter chapter 1!” I hope you’ll join me in this! God bless you richly as you seek to hide His Word in your heart!

My Memorization Plan for 1 Peter 1:1-25
Week
Dates
Verses to Memorize
Daily Memorization Plan
1
August 19-25
1 Peter 1:1-2
1. Read 1 Peter 1:1 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
2. Read 1 Peter 1:2 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
2
August 26-September 1
1 Peter 1:3-4
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:1-2) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Read 1 Peter 1:3 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
3. Read 1 Peter 1:4 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.   
3
September 2-8
1  Peter 1:5-6
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:3-4) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-4) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:5 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:6 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.  . 
4
September 9-15
1 Peter 1:7-8
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:5-6) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-6) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:7 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:8 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.  . 
5
September 16-22
1 Peter 1:9-10
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:7-8) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-8) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:9 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:10 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.  . 
6
September 23-29
1 Peter 1:11-12
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:9-10) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-10) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:11 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:12 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.  . 
7
September 30-October 6
1 Peter 1:13-14
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:11-12) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-12) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:13 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:14 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.  . 
8
October 7-13
1 Peter 1:15-16
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:13-14) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-14) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:15 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:16 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times.  . 
9
October 14-20
1 Peter 1:17-18
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:15-16) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-16) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:17 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:18 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
10
October 21-27
1 Peter 1:19-20
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:17-18) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-18) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:19 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:20 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
11
October 28-November 3
1 Peter 1:21-22
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:19-20) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-20) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:21 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:22 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
12
November 4-10
1 Peter 1:23-24
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:21-22) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-22) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:23 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. Read 1 Peter 1:24 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
13
November 11-17
1 Peter 1:25
Review
1. Review last week’s verses first (1 Peter 1:23-24) by reciting them 10 times (look at your Bible if you need to.)
2. Review old verses altogether (1 Peter 1:1-24) by reciting it once through.
3. Read 1 Peter 1:25 out loud 10 times, then recite the verse 10 times. 
4. At the end of the week begin review program. Recite 1 Peter 1:1-25 once through every day for the next 100 days (during downtime—i.e. In the car, in the shower, while folding laundry, etc.)
 * My plan for memorizing 1 Peter 1:1-25 was adapted from “An Approach to Extended Memorization” by Dr. Andrew M. Davis, Pastor at First Baptist Church in Durham, N.C.

Question for you: Will you join me in memorizing 1 Peter 1:1-25? 



If you haven’t yet, follow me on Twitter or drop by my Facebook page and click “Like.”

Subscribe to Rivers of Water by entering your e-mail address in the box below:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Copyright © 2012 Brooke Espinoza.

32 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm in. :o) Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Deborah! I'm looking forward to it, too! God bless you much!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Great, Wendy! You'll love it! God bless you lots!

      Delete
  3. Love the tip about memorizing in the shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Diane! Thanks to Katie Orr for the great tip! God bless you much, Diane!

      Delete
  4. Wow - I love this! I used to be very good at memorization, but have gotten out of the habit. I'm on!! And I'm your new follower. Stopping by from Hear It On Sunday, Use It On Monday. Blessings from Croatia: A Little R & R: www.littlerandr.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosilind, So glad this blessed you! I hope you'll join us. However the Lord leads... God bless you richly!

      Delete
  5. This is SO beneficial, Brooke! I love how you break things down into do-able chunks, and how you also encourage each step of the way. We're so blessed to be memorizing alongside you.

    I think I'll do the shower approach this time myself. This morning I quoted John 1 to my dog. :-) I need to spend more time with her, so I decided I'd use that time to practice my scriptures. She doesn't care how many times I mess up. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I love the shower approach. It makes me feel free to recite my verses as I am still learning them without feeling self-conscious. I loved what you wrote about your dog! lol! Sometimes I quote my verses to my almost 4 year old girl. She never knows when I mess up either. :)God bless you lots!

      Delete
  6. Oh Brooke! I love that...time used when my hands are busy but my mind is free. We DO have so much time, don't we. Thank you for the inspiring way you are leading others to memorize. What joy it brings! Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jacque. When we add up all those minutes when our hands are busy and our mind is free we DO have time for memorizing God's Word. For me, it's just a matter of using those idle minutes of my day, and redeeming the time. Thanks for your encouraging words. You're a blessing, Jacque! God bless you much!

      Delete
  7. Brooke, I'm stopping over from the Better Mom. What a great idea! I will be joining you on memorizing :) thank you for posting and Shari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, so glad you stopped by! I'm thrilled you'll be memorizing 1 Peter 1 with all us ladies! God bless you lots!

      Delete
  8. Your diligence is amazing and admirable!! Brooke, love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! You're so sweet! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  9. Your example is inspiring! Thank you, Brooke, for the tip about memorizing God's word in the shower! Visiting from Jen's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dolly! I love that tip, too! I got it from Katie Orr's blog, Living Devotionally. God bless you lots!

      Delete
  10. Psalm 103 is my (current) favorite chapter! I finally memorized it last spring, and love being able to quote it whenever my mind needs redirection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, that is so neat to hear! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  11. I *love* how you've listed it all. You've also got some great ideas and links - thank you!

    And I wish I'd found your site earlier to join in as you memorized Psalm 103 - I seem to do better with the long passages when I'm part of a group so I would have enjoyed participating along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, so glad this blessed you! Oh I wish you had known earlier, too! I do much better when I memorize with a group too. It keeps me motivated and accountable. If you're determined to memorize Psalm 103, you might see if a few ladies you know would like to memorize it with you, and then print out the posts for this challenge or simply email the ladies in your group the link to the posts as you memorize that part of Psalm 103. However the Lord leads... Hopefully you can join us at Do Not Depart for the upcoming 1 Peter 1 memory challenge. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! I hope you'll join us! God bless you abundantly!

      Delete
  13. I'm stopping by from the Wise Woman link up! Memorizing verses has been something I've been trying to do lately. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, so glad you stopped by! God bless you richly as you seek to hide God's Word in your heart!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing how you memorize. I'm eager to try some of your hints. Hiding Gods Word is a blessing that keeps giving to the end of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Pamela! I agree, the blessings of God's Word are so far reaching. God bless you lots as you strive to hide His Word in your heart!

      Delete
  15. I found you through DoNotDepart.com and I like your method! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristy! So glad this blessed you! God bless you lots!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share. May God bless you richly!