24 Psalm 103 Memory Challenge: Oh, How He Loves Us!

I hope you have been loving meditating this week on the precious promises of Psalm 103:3-4 as much as I have! There is so much packed into these two verses! Today let’s reflect on God’s goodness expressed in Psalm 103:4. We have much to praise the Lord!
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies. (Psalm 103:4)
How He Loves Us by David Crowder

Again, I LOVE that these are not a one-time blessing, but an ongoing blessing in our life! Certainly God has redeemed us! His work on the cross is finished. His death on the cross paid the penalty for our sins completely. We are redeemed—no longer headed for destruction. For us who have accepted Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior our sins are paid in full! We have escaped an eternity in Hell, and will one day live forever in Heaven with Jesus—all because we accepted His free gift by faith!



Who redeems your life from destruction

If Jesus redeeming work on the cross is complete, why doesn’t this verse say “Who redeemed your life from destruction”—past tense? I believe this is because God knows we still need His delivering work in other areas of our life. Consider these areas where  God continually redeems us from:

Destructive thoughts—Fear, worry, bitterness, etc The Holy Spirit brings to our mind those great and precious promises to help us take those destructive thoughts captive and fill our heart with hope once again.

Destructive habitsOverindulging in food or alcohol, gossiping, etc. God empowers us by His Spirit to overcome any strongholds in our life. More than just giving us the ability to overcome, He makes us more than conquerors!

Destructive influences—people who reject the Lord and the things of Him and would lead us to doubt God’s Word, as well as His goodness or faithfulness. This destructive influence could be through a friend, co-worker, radio or TV personality, author, magazine, website, etc  This reminds me of the Sunday school song lyrics “Oh, be careful little hearts who you trust.”

Destructive circumstances—serious injury due to car accident or any other kind of accident, serious health problems, etc. Sometimes we see we were inches from destruction, but God spared us from destructive circumstances.  I wonder though how many times God has spared me from some destruction when I had no idea that there was even a threat--whether He spared me from a car accident, restrained a person from me who was up to no good, or kept me from getting a serious health issue like cancer or diabetes.

Sometimes God chooses us to spare us because that is not His will for us, other times He allows us to go through a difficult time. But I can honestly say that even in the worst trials I’ve gone through, I am still blessed because it could have been worse. By His love, God redeems my life from destruction. I may go through the fire at times, but God will not let it consume me. (2 Cor. 4:8-9; Daniel 3:26- 27)

Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies

God has already lavished (and still daily lavishes!) His love on us by:
Forgiving ALL our iniquities (Psalm 103:3)
Healing ALL our diseases (Psalm 103:3)
Redeeming our life from destruction (Psalm 103:3)

Not only does He continue to bless us in these ways, which is phenomenal, but He goes a step further and crowns us, or surrounds us, with lovingkindness and tender mercies.

When I think of God and a crown, I can’t help but think of the horrific crown of thorns Jesus wore as went to the cross on our behalf. Yet, God in His great love honors us with a crown. He graciously bestows on us lovingkindness and tender mercies. I think of the honor someone of royalty receives when they are crowned. It is a ceremony where they are highly esteemed and greatly honored. To receive a crown by another person would be a huge honor, but we are crowned over and over by the God of the universe who spoke the heavens and the earth into existence!

He does not crown us with perishable metal, but with His imperishable lovingkindness and tender mercies. This truth about God and His love towards us is quite contrary to the wrathful image many people have about God in the Old Testament. God is as loving in the Old Testament as He is in the New Testament. God is love, and He never changes. (1 John 4:8; Malachi 3:6)
Regarding Psalm 103:4 C.H. Spurgeon comments, “Who crowneth thee with loving kindness and tender mercies. Our Lord does nothing by halves, he will not stay his hand till he has gone to the uttermost with his people. Cleansing, healing, redemption, are not enough, he must needs make them kings and crown them, and the crown must be far more precious than if it were made of corruptible things, such as silver and gold; it is studded with gems of grace and lined with the velvet of lovingkindness; it is decked with the jewels of mercy, but made soft for the head to wear by a lining of tenderness.”—Treasury of David by C.H. Spurgeon
I don’t know about you, but I am feeling like a princess! It feels amazing being a daughter of the King! (John 1:12)

Happy memorizing! God bless you much! 

Question for you: Which of the benefits in Psalm 103:3-4 have impacted you the most?
 


Psalm 103 Memory Challenge Quick Links 
For tips and helps in memorizing your verses this week, check out the previous posts for the Psalm 103 Memory Challenge:
Introduction to Memorizing Psalm 103
Week 1: Psalm 103:1-2    Remembering God’s Faithfulness.
Week 2 (Part 1): Psalm 103:3   There's No god Like Our God!
Week 2 (Part 2) Psalm 103:4   Oh, How He Loves Us!
Week 3 (Part 1) Psalm 103:5   Strength For The Weary
Week 3 (Part 2) Psalm 103:6   God Will Give You Justice!
Week 4 (Part 1) Psalm 103:7   God Makes Himself Known!
Week 4 (Part 2) Psalm 103:8   Mercy in Abundance!
Week 5: Psalm 103:9-10 Better Than I Deserve!
Week 6: Psalm 103:11-12   How High and Wide is God's Mercy For Us!
Week 7: Psalm 103:13-14  God's Loving Compassion For Us!
Week 8: Psalm 103:15-16 Soon and Very Soon, We are Going to See the King!
Week 9: Psalm 103:17-18 God's Mercy is from Everlasting to Everlasting!
Week 10: Psalm 103:19-20 God Rules Over All!
Week 11: Psalm 103:21-22 Bless the Lord! 
Week 12: My Plan for Keeping Psalm 103 Hidden In My Heart!
If you haven’t yet, follow me on Twitter or drop by my Facebook page and click “Like.”

Subscribe to Rivers of Water by entering your e-mail address in the box below:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Copyright © 2012 Brooke Espinoza.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke, I am next to you over at Still Saturday linky so I popped in to see what you are writing. NO MISTAKE, I love how you end this post with a question to which I answer "Who redeemeth thy life from destruction". I am so happy I have been redeemed from the destruction that will come. Thank you for helping me to meditate upon this blessed hope. I love your blog, especially how the name of it fits so well with your name. Visit me over at Christianity Every Day (http://christianeveryday.com) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I'm so glad this blessed you! Thanks for sharing! I will be sure to check out your blog. God bless you much!

      Delete
  2. He has redeemed me from destruction. A beautiful psalm to memorize and ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great one, Donna! It truly is a great Psalm to memorize and set our minds upon. Thanks for sharing! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  3. This is my daughter (soon to be 16) favorite song ... she will soon perform it for our church body! Simply REDEEMED by JESUS, my ROCK, my salvation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya, it is such a beautiful song. Your church will be so blessed when they hear your daughter sing it! I loved what I you said about simply redeemed by Jesus! You said it so beautiful! God bless you much!

      Delete
  4. Love the Spurgeon quote. God never does things by halves. Love your "feeling like a princess." How He loves us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! I love Spurgeon! He has so many wonderful insights. I saw on your blog all the wonderful Children's Bible books for kids. How neat! I have a preschool-age girl that I know would love your books. I will check them out on Amazon for sure! :) God bless your writing ministry as you continue to write for Him! :)

      Delete
  5. When I was a pastoral leader of single women God have me a sense that I should train my members because they were His princesses, daughters of the King! Indeed we all are and we have much to learn! Beautiful psalm! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy that is so neat that God gave you that sense to train your members as His princesses! I love that! Thanks for sharing! God bless you lots!

      Delete
  6. I have been reading in the Psalms and 103 is an exceptional promise. Who redeems your life from destruction,
    Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies. Daily I need this verse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, that's great you're reading through the Psalms. You're right Psalm 103 has incredible promises and verse four is an amazing one! I think we all need this one every day because it contains great comfort and encouragement to remind us of God's love and faith :) God bless you much!

      Delete
  7. Hi Brooke,

    A beautiful Psalm of David; I love how his praise is focused on the good things God is doing for him. No matter how difficult our lives, or how many times we are tempted by sin, we can praise God and always count our blessings! :)

    What joy that I found your blog and dropped by this morning; thanks for sharing!

    Blessings and love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, well said! I love your comments on God's goodness and the truth that we always have a reason to praise Him. So beautiful and encouraging! Thanks for sharing, Denise! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  8. i am blessed to be linked up next to you on Write it Girl.. :) we sang this song in church yesterday.. love love love! it's been playing in my head since then.. and this was a beautiful reminder. we are redeemed! to just trust and believe in that .. that is my prayer right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amie, that is so neat that you just sang this song at church yesterday! I love how God does that. :) Thank you for your sweet words. God bless you lots in your writing ministry!

      Delete
  9. I too, like the Spurgeon quote. He crowns us! Amazing! Thanks for the UPlifting thoughts today.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, so glad this blessed you! Spurgeon has so many awesome quotes! He's one of my go-to people for quotes. :) I agree, God's love for us is amazing! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  10. Hi Brooke, Such a great and in-depth study on these verses. Thank you for stopping by and sharing on Think on These Things!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, it was my pleasure! Thank you for your sweet words! So glad this blessed you. God bless you richly!

      Delete
  11. You are correct...it is wonderful to be a daughter of the King. Thank you for sharing this at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! Thanks for stopping by. God bless you much!:)

      Delete
  12. Lovely encouraging post. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte for your sweet words! God bless you lots!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share. May God bless you richly!